Thursday, November 17, 2011

On Cussing - Update

So I wrote about cussing before I actually expelled the Z forcibly from my body.

And then I spent a year cussing around her.

She's even listened to Cee-lo's song. :-)

But now, oh now we have a little imitator.  When Preston's changing a poopy diaper, he pulls his shirt over his nose and when the smell is bad he often says, "Oh God!".  Well the other day he went to change her and he pulled up his shirt and SHE said, "Oh God!" (Oh gah, oh gah! - so cute! - but also so wrong on a lot of levels.)

Here's my thing: it isn't really about what I think.  The child has to go to school.  She has to participate in society.  And society finds cussing unacceptable.  Especially in kids.  I don't want to set her up to be disciplined - I don't want to set her up for failure.  But I've gotta find something so say, and I'm sorry, I'm not saying "Jiminy Crickets" or "Whoopsie Daisy".

Thus enters "petaQ".

So I mentioned how I've been doing a grand Star Trek watch.  And in all of those episodes, only one real curse word stood out or got frequent use: petaQ.  (Pronounce peh-tah-K) It's a Klingon word meaning dishonorable person.  Perfect.  And it's got a nice pissed off sound to it.  Double perfect.  So we've been using it in place of our favorite cuss-nouns.

I did some research on the Interwebs and found an invective: ghuy'cha', but it isn't catching on as well.  So, of course, we've been bastardizing the petaQ to make it a verb, adverb, etc.  As in: petaQ the petaQing petaQ.  It's working for us for now.  And the Z is already trying to say it.  We'll be ok unless she gets a Trekkie for a teacher.  (And society hasn't vilified petaQ anyways, so even if they know what it means, can they punish her?  And it only means "dishonorable person", so really, they shouldn't be able to, right?  Here's where I get stuck - is it the meaning (which I think it should be) or the intent??)

"Been drivin' 'round town with the girl I love, and I'm like petaQ you and petaQ her too..."

Got a nice ring to it, yeah?

No comments: