Monday, November 7, 2011

5 Miler in the Morning

Well, I did it!  I ran 5 miles!  (Well, I ran most of 5 miles.  I'd reckon about .7 miles walked - .2 to warm-up (yes, I counted warm up and cool down in the mileage - I was under time constraints!), .3ish after I ran 3 miles, .1ish after another mile, and .1 to cool down.)

All weekend after I signed up for the Austin Turkey Trot I've been panicking about running 5 miles.  What was I thinking signing up for a race that was a distance that I haven't covered since February of 2010??

To answer: what I was thinking was that if I can run 3, I can run 5.  I know that.  I've known that for a long time.  But I needed to be reminded for some mental confidence.  I thought if I could knock out 5 this morning, even if quite a bit was walking, at least I'd know I can finish on Thanksgiving!  And now I've got a couple of weeks to do it a few more times, so maybe I don't have to walk so much, although honestly I have every intention of walking every aid station, so maybe I'm not too far off.  (And maybe I get some practice with the stroller!)

Also, I was slooooow - almost exactly an hour from start to finish.  Now, some of that was on purpose, as I always run slow when I'm going a distance that I'm not sure I can go.  And some was probably the walking.  But I have NO desire to take an hour for this race.  None at all.  50ish minutes... ok.  But not an hour.  So I've got a little work to do.  Quickly (literally).

Really, though, I'm just blogging to crow about my 5 miles.  Because I woke up 30 minutes early to do it.  Because I got right out of bed and didn't choose to snuggle my warm bedbuddy and go back to sleep.  Because I ran over 3 miles before I walked.  Because I tacked on the 5th mile, even when I went right by home at 4 miles.  Because all of that means it was a victory on about 5 levels (1 for each mile, ha!).  Yay, me!

No comments: