Monday, October 24, 2011

Weekend Wrap-up

Here's a long weekend wrap-up for you, complete with photos!
Fun in the car as I came home from work.
Friday was a normal day, except that I had to take the Menace to the car doc AGAIN because the idle control valve thingy that they installed the other month really doesn't seem to be working properly.  And except we hit the carwash on the way home from dinner at Jax. And by "hit the carwash" I mean "visited the awesome gumball machine".

Contemplating her vertical leap ability.

Saturday morning we went to the Madza dealership for Preston's car's 10k check-up.  All systems nominal.  And we browsed at CX-7s and CX-9s for me.  You know, just in case the Menace continues to misbehave.

The dealership must have left their balloons out over night just for the Z.
After that we headed back home to try putting the Z down for a nap sans boob for the first time ever.  I had asked the daycare ladies for advice on Friday, and basically the party line was (gently) hold her down with one hand on her back and pat her butt in a heartbeat pattern.  It'll take 20 minutes, at least, and she'll squirm and struggle, but eventually she'll fall asleep.  Don't give up, don't lose patience.

Well, they were right about everything but the 20 minutes - it was more like 35!  But eventually she did comply, and she took a nice looooong nap once she was finally asleep!

Once she woke up, we headed to a local pumpkin patch to pick out a pumpkin to carve.  It was really pretty cool: they had a little goat pen and tons of pumpkins, and for when she's older, hayrides, train rides, and a bounce house slide thingy.  But for now, we just looked at the goats and all the pumpkins and all the other kids.  Z had a great time!

Shy at the petting zoo.

Little pumpkin in the pumpkin patch.
 We stopped by Freebirds on the way home, but Z was asleep in the car, so we made it take out.

Sunday we watched the very last episode of Star Trek: Voyager.  I can't remember if I've mentioned it before, but I've been doing a watch of every Star Trek ever.  I was never a Trekkie before - it seemed like the series never hit me in the right way or at the right time.  So it started when I saw the new movie.  I wanted to understand all the references, so I started watching TOS.  Then when I was done, I was thoroughly sucked in and that led nicely into TNG, which led to DS9 (watched while pregnant and then breastfeeding), and finally Voyager.  And now I'll move on to Enterprise.

The funny thing is that I get the same feeling with the end of an episodic series that I get when I finish a long good book.  I mean, I've been watching Voyager for probably 9 months, now.  I cried during the last episode.  Until the end I claimed DS9 as my favorite Star Trek series, but now I'd have to say Voyager - I liked the ending that much better.  I hope Enterprise doesn't disappoint, and can't even imagine what I'm going to do when I've seen all of them!

Sunday also involved some extreme cooking, and a belly ache.  More on the cooking in a later post.  No more on the belly ache, unless it attacks the Z. :-)  Onward!

2 comments:

Pharmie said...

That dress is SO cute on Z! Making a mental note of your weaning strategy for the "someday" file. :)

Amber said...

Thanks!!

Yeah, weaning is almost as difficult as getting started, but in a completely different way!