Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Goal Review

September goals:

1.  Get back to it, really.  My vacation swung into September, so any type of quantitative goal is probably out the window.  I have made a goal of running a 5 miler on Thanksgiving morning.  That gives me 2.5(ish) months to basically double my mileage.  That shouldn't be rocket science, but it will require me to be more devoted to running than I have been.  I started with yesterday morning's run - 2.5 miles, no walk breaks.  I didn't run this morning because I'm all kinds of sore from yesterday (that's what a lay-off will do to me!), but I did stationary bike for recovery.  Going to run again tomorrow morning.  And I need to start finding a way to do a weekend "long" run - I just can't run much farther than 3ish miles right now in the morning unless I want to get up EVEN EARLIER than 3:30.  Hint: I don't.

Well... I started the weaning process a little early, and this put a considerable cramp in my morning exercising.  Here's why: I wanted to start with the 3:30am pumping session.  Because, seriously, Mama needs some sleep!  And I started early because P got switched to a job site where he could go in a little later, and thus take some of the Z's morning processes off my hands for a week or two, which would mean I could pump later, which meant the time was then!  So I started off by shifting the pumping to 4:30ish, and then after a few days 5:30ish, with a goal of ultimately cutting the pumping all together and just breastfeeding first thing in the morning (for Z, which means 5:45ish).  This all had an extreme impact on my working out, because it means that ultimately I want to be working out BEFORE my first morning breast-emptying session, regardless of method.  What that means is that I need my boobs to get on board with not being full to the point of bursting first thing when I wake up.  My boobs are slow to respond to commands, which is why this morning, after 3 weeks of later pumping, I finally was able to run again, before pumping, without insanely painful boobs.  So while this month wasn't what I wanted, AT ALL, it was progress, and therefore I'm pleased with it.

2.  Get some core work in.  See #1.

3.  This is my last month of full-time breastfeeding/pumping!  Halla-freaking-luyah!  Prepare for some weaning.  Yay, check, see #1.

Informal goals:  More working on the house.  Finish the upstairs completely.  Hopefully hire a contractor and get started downstairs.  Get the Z's birthday party planned.   Some checky checks here.  Office is completely finished, so upstairs is truly almost done.  Will post a pic or 2 soon.  Contractor fail.  Party planned check.

Weight September 1 was 132.4.  Weight on October 1 was 131.8.  I'll take it.

Over all, really a pretty successful month.


October goals:

I'm still going to be working the partial weaning situation.  Perfect circumstances right now (I think) would have the Z nursing morning, 2x during the day to help her go down for naps, and night.  I'm hoping my non-engorgement from this morning wasn't a fluke, but I'm not holding my breath.  Once that situation has settled, that'd mean I'm still looking to drop a late afternoon session (usually right after I get home from work).  I can't say enough how much better/easier 4 times a day sounds than 6-7.  That's like getting a 1-2 hour GIFT added back to every day.  Seriously.


With all that said, I'm still not sure how that's going to impact the working out.  In a perfect world, my goals would be the same ones I keep repeating month after month: run "more/lots" and work out my core "more/lots".  In the real world, anything is better than nothing, and whatever I need to do to make it work is good enough.  I'm done trying to sink goals into concrete and obey.  It just isn't sustainable with a shrimpie who is still so needy.


And with all of THAT said, I do still want to run the 5 miler on Thanksgiving.  So I need to get ready for that.  I've got about 2 months to add on about 3 miles.  I CAN do that.  I really can.  Even if I'm not as consistent as I want to be.  So my real goal this month is just to show progress in that direction.  That shouldn't be hard: this morning I ran 1.6 miles.  Seriously.  Progress isn't going to take hours and hours at this point!


Informal goals: survive Z's party with JaMIL intact.  Finally finish upstairs.  And... I haven't really mentioned this yet, but I've had a really sad thing happen at work - goal is to move mentally past it - remember to enJOY every moment with my precious Z, because life is short.

No comments: