Thursday, October 13, 2011

No Politics in the House

Seriously, I really don't want to get into a political debate with anyone.  I'll put it out to the world that I don't align with either party, and I vote for whoever I think is the best candidate.  Therefore, I'm not following the Republican primaries.

But I heard this yesterday morning on the radio, and I can't get it out of my head.

In response to one candidate's 999 economic plan (9% tax on income, sales, and corporations), another candidate says this: "When you take the 999 plan, and turn it upside down, the devil's in the details."


I know nothing about the validity or invalidity of the plan.  I do not know if it would work or not.  I care, but only slightly, because let's be honest: it'll never come to fruition.  Even if what's-his-name gets elected, he'll still be mired in our current code, trying desperately to get us out of an economic crisis while he's unable to actually *change* ANYTHING because CONGRESS legislates, the president merely enforces their laws.  But I digress.  How is that comment acceptable in a DEBATE?  The definition of "debate" is as follows: A formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.  THAT IS NOT AN ARGUMENT.  That is just a stupid Stupid STUPID barb.  Totally pointless.  What does it say about the state of American politics that that was an acceptable statement in a political "debate"?  Where is the substance?  Why don't we demand substance?  What does it say about us as a people that this kind of behavior from our elected (and wanna be elected) officials is acceptable?  If this plan isn't going to work, and I shouldn't elect what's-his-name because of that, then you need to tell me why.  Why won't it work?  What do you propose that will work better?  Or should a president not be an economics major?  Then tell me who you're going to hire and why they'd be able to fix everything.  Or tell me why you wouldn't be able to fix anything BECAUSE YOU CAN'T.  I don't care.  But don't just sling mud around the stage.

No comments: