Thursday, June 25, 2015

Life is like a box of chocolates

That I haven't been able to eat for the last week.

Last Monday at lunch, I had some tooth pain.  But it resolved, so I figured I just had something stuck in there.  But it came back on Tuesday and didn't resolve.  So I headed to the dentist, who thought I had a cracked tooth.  Sent me to see the endodontist.

So for the past week, I've been on antibiotics and pain meds and liquid food and generally miserable.  No running.  No biking.  No swimming.  Just trying to get through the day.  "Strange how we can suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing." (LOTR, Tolkein)

Needless to say the Dad's Day 5K didn't happen.

The antibiotics seemed to be helping, especially as the endodontist appointment approached, to the extent that I looked at Preston the night before and said, you know, if I felt this way without feeling the way that I have for the last week, I wouldn't even go to the dentist for this.  But I went anyways because it HAD happened.

The Endo basically said he couldn't tell if it was a root canal thing or a gum infection and recommended watching and waiting.  I respect him SO MUCH for not trying to sell me an expensive procedure that he isn't sure I need.  So we shall watch and wait and eat on the opposite side.

That was on Tuesday of this week.

So yesterday I went out for a short run.  First exercise since the Monday of the initial pain.  It felt good to be back out there!  This morning I did a bike ride, again short.  Tomorrow I will run again.   This is life, right?  Stuff knocks you down, you do what you need to do to get through, then you get up and move on.  I was in a good place before this tooth.  I was sad about it for a few days.  But I only lost just over a week.  I will come back strong.  I am stronger for enduring.

No comments: