Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bellaire Trolley Run Race Report

I am really pleased with how this race went for me.

8:00 start time, 6:30-7:30 packet pick-up led to a 5am sleeping in wake up call for me.  Drank my coffee, woke up the baby and nursed her, got ready as quickly as possible, on the road by 6:30 with a pancake in Z's hand, arrived around 7.  It was easy to grab the packet, make my deposit in the restroom, then went outside to watch the kids mile.  I really think Z'll be old enough for this next year!  (If she wants, no pressure.)  Some parents ran next to their tykes with a stroller in case the little one got too tired and needed a ride.  I think that's a great idea!  Especially for the first time.  And P says he can totally handle a mile with the Z. :-)

As for me, I really wanted a post-Z 5K PR (sub-30:36).  I really really wanted to go sub-30.  In my mind, when I finally (back in the day) went sub-30, that was when I made my running breakthrough and that was when I really started getting speedier.  So sub-30 is where I want to go now!  But I honestly wasn't sure my training would support it.  I feel like I've been sloooooow in training.

So I lined up a ways back.  I was just wanting to try and peg low 9's.  Started off running, glanced down and saw 8:54 pace, and I wasn't feeling it!  I don't know what it is about that first mile of a race, but it is absolutely *magical* for me!  There was a skinny old guy (really skinny, shirtless, probably 80) in front of me that I started using as a rabbit because he was holding a nice steady pace.  I kept on him until the U-turn where I passed him (I think I hold good lines in turns) and never saw him again.  I heard him and another old guy complaining about the turns as I passed them.  Well, that second old guy, who was wearing a 3/4 cut off shirt with like 3 inches of midriff showing, passed me back and was holding a nice pace, so I used him as a rabbit up through the first water stop where I lost him because I walked it.

Oh, I was really thirsty when I started the race, and that was a mistake.  I was really feeling desperate for water by the first stop about 1.4 miles in.  (And it was hot, probably 70+.)

Right around a mile we ran past the starting line and I saw P and Z.  I called out "ZoĆ«" and started waving, and she immediately saw me.  Preston didn't until I was way past them.  He said she cried when I was running away, poor thing!

Anyways, I walked that water stop, and after a little water I felt better.  I was nervous about the quick walk break because I was afraid when I started running again I'd slow way down, but that wasn't really a problem.

As usual in this race, the hardest part was the loop around the high school.  That is when you're farthest away from the finish line, but you know you've still got several turns before the straightaway back to the finish.  I powered through (but slowed some), promising myself another quick walk break at the water station on the way back.

The cool thing about this race is that you can see the finish line from almost a mile out.  It is so far that you aren't even sure that is what you're seeing.  But I knew that was it, and I kept telling myself I could put up with anything for only as far as I can see, so I pushed it.

Final time: 29:36. Yay! 9:32 a mile.  13th in my age group, which was higher than I expected.

My little girl was waiting for me just past the line, and I took her very warm little self into my very warm sweaty arms and snuggled her and apologized for scaring her when I ran away.  And we went over to the post-race party, got some grub, and hit the road.

My 5K PR was at this race, years ago, and I've been reflecting on how it seems a little sucky to be so thrilled with a time that is 4 minutes and 30 seconds slower than my PR.  But this was a good showing for my fitness level at this time. I want to get back in PR shape, and this race was just what I needed in that journey at this time.  Hopefully next year I'll be back and faster than ever!

No comments: