Monday, August 8, 2011

Ramblings

This is a weekend wrap-up, but I've been doing some thinking, so it is really just a platform to ramble...

There is no right way to parent.  But I think we may be different from a lot of parents out there.

Daddy holding Zoƫ holding/eating one of her letter magnets.

On Saturday we went over to the Grandparents G's (GG's) house.  They had their other grandkid there.  I feel sorry for this kid.  He was born to 18 year old un-married parents.  They have alternated between getting back together/breaking up for his entire short life (he's almost 3), and that's got to be really hard on him, that kind of instability.  Also when his dad has custody, the kid is usually parked at the GG's house while his dad parties with friends, etc.  The dad still lives with the GG's.  But he doesn't take care of his own kid when he has custody.  And as a parent who has to pay for babysitting or arrange a weekend evening at the GG's house, I call bullshit.

Plus the GG's, they are great people, but they are yellers.  Maybe it is different with a toddler boy, but I cringe every time I hear, "E, NO!  Don't ___!  I told you not to ___!"  It is like, ugh, is there a different way?  Because I swear the kid just tunes them out now.  And I hope they won't yell at Z like that...


E's legs in the background, and Z playing with his gun.

Then on Sunday one of my old friends and his family came by on their way home from H-town.  Their daughter is only 2 months younger than the Z.  They played together and had super-fun.  But my friend and his wife... they are just a different kind of parents than we are.  They are worried about everything.  They would apologize when their kiddo put one of Z's toys in her mouth.  She's a baby, that's what babies do!  I certainly don't care!  But then I started thinking... is that how I'm supposed to act when I'm on a "playdate"?  (We've never had one yet.)  I mean, isn't the point toy-sharing?  I'm confused.


Z showing R how to work the toy.  Super cute!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: