Monday, June 21, 2010

Vacation redux - and Weeks 22 and 23

*****I apologize in advance for the quality of the writing in this post, especially the vacation redux part. I seem to have regressed to 3rd grade: I went to Galveston. It was fun. Sorry sorry sorry!!*****

Cravings:
Fruit. And vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.

Aversions:
Nope.

Other symptoms:
Moody. Nesting. Hugely fat.

Things bugging me:My neighbor, BM, has started leaving his light on at night in the passage that connects his house and garage. And it shines right into our bedroom window. The one without the curtain (because it is slanted). Now it looks like it is daylight in my bedroom. All. The. Time.

Current weight: 148.2

Vacation:

We got roped into going to P's family reunion in Fredericksburg on the 19th/20th, which is why we chose to take our vacation when we did. I hadn't felt like planning anything because I wasn't sure how I was going to feel, so I suggested that we stay in the Hangar Hotel, which I figured he'd like, and we stay through til Monday because I've never really done Fredericksburg as a tourist.


It went fine. Except the parts that JaMIL was there for. She insisted on telling me where I needed to register, that I should just take the drugs as soon as they were offered, etc. She also made some snarky comment that really pissed me off about my mom moving in with us. Like I'm gonna turn down free childcare?? And like JaMIL offered?? Ugh! A few times I had to convince P to take me for a walk or a nap or something, just to get away from her. And I had to lay down the law that we'd see her Saturday and Sunday as much as he wanted, but no family stuff on Monday!!Anyways, Saturday night was the reunion. Met a bunch of people I don't know. Yay. Got my extra-sensitive feelings super hurt when P asked me to take the family picture. Like I don't have the right to be in the picture. I was practically crying in the middle of the room. I'm incubating the next generation of this damn family that I don't even know, and he doesn't think I should be in the picture???


Anyways, Sunday was more specific family time with his more immediate family that I've actually met before, so for me that was better. (Except the parts with JaMIL.) We went for a nice walk in the cemetery that morning,
then for a nice Mexican lunch and shopping on Main Street. Back to the hotel for a nap and a JaMIL break, then for a family dinner.

I do have to say one thing for JaMIL: she did give us 5 baby presents as we were leaving. And that was sweet.

Monday we went back to the shops for an hour or so to kill time before our reservation at the famous Peach Tree. I agonized over 2 pieces at Creations in Jewelry, before finally escaping the store without spending anything. Miraculously. Lunch at the Peach Tree was sooooo yummy. I had the quiche and P had the turkey croissant pocket thingy. His was so good I was practically crying, and he took pity on me and traded about midway through. They also had amazing bread, and a super-yummy dessert. I bought a beaded handbag, to top it off, in their shop. Heh. Then we decided to leave, stopped at a peach stand on the way out. We've been eating those peaches all week, and YUM!

Stopped by the outlet mall on 290 on the way back in. P got a Calphalon stovetop grill pan thingy for less than half-price, and I escaped without spending anything! Then we were off home to sweet kitties for 2 nights.

Tuesday evening we went to Little Big's for dinner: burger, fries, shake joint. Yum! Especially the fries! Sliders were good too, though. Could have done without the shake, though. Oh, and we saw this pregnant woman while we were there, and it was insane: she was so skinny! Arms, legs, even her pelvic area = skinny! She was a skinny lady with like a bump attachment! After that we went to see Boeing Boeing at the Alley Theatre. Decent 2nd half funnier than the first. I was exhausted by intermission.

Next morning we got up and moseyed down to Galveston. First stop was Benno's for lunch (overpriced, but as always, yummy), then Wings for some board shorts to cover my fattening thighs. That was an epic FAIL. I tried on every size from M to 2XL with no fitting before I gave up and left almost crying. My fat thighs were destined to see the light of day.

Went on to the Galvez, which I had booked for us to try. It was nice, but I don't know that we'll stay there again. The best part was that it was right across from a stretch of beach on the seawall that wasn't super-crowded - just about a block down from Murdoch's and Fish Tails, 2
blocks from the old Flagship, which is still standing there looking mighty beaten. Next time, I think I'd like to try the San Luis....


Anyways, we wandered over to Murdoch's for P to buy some swim trunks (I told him I hadn't packed his stuff, I swear!!), then down to the beach for a few hours. Then to a Greek restaurant called Olympia. Good, but not one I think I'd go back to. Then over to Fish Tails for ice cream, then crashed.

Next day we got up, got breakfast tacos from Taco C, and went down to the beach where we rented one of those umbrellas ($25 for the day - holy anal price rape, Batman!) and settled in for the long (7 hours!) day. The surf was actually great for boogie boarding - I reckon we spent several hours doing that. I had also brought sandwich makings, apples and oranges, chips, sweets, and drinks, so we'd go out in the water, then back to land to munch, dry off, reapply sunscreen, then back out. We also played catch, fun! The last time P went out to boogie board, I stayed under the umbrella and read - I was getting tired. We left right at 5 when the dude started coming around to collect the umbrellas/chairs.

Btw, preggo swimsuits SUCK. They are made for women who want to lay on a towel on the beach, NOT for women who swim, boogie board, play in the waves.

Back up to the hotel to clean up for our reservation at 901 Postoffice. Good dinner. Quite good. But a little spicy for my taste. And I was so full at the end of the main course that we didn't stay for dessert.

Of course, we discovered as we cleaned up for dinner that we were both severely sunburned. Severely. P got basically his entire torso, due to his lack of re-application of sunscreen. I only got it in the areas I missed. Read here: hands, side-boobs, top of thighs, assorted spots on my back that P missed, and the tops of my feet. But I got it baaaaaaad in those spots.

We didn't have any aloe, so we made another emergency run to Wings to get some. By then I really wanted some ice cream, so on to Fish Tails, then back to the hotel room where I shivered, applied aloe, and ate ice cream. Yes, I know the ice cream wasn't helping. But I'm preggo and it was yummy! But I had to eat it while wrapped up in a huge comforter.
Next morning we watched the USA get jacked our of a totally valid goal in the World Cup, then headed home.

Rest of the weekend was spent with as little clothing hurting our delicate sunburns as possible, relaxing and watching the World Cup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

holy anal price rape, Batman!

That's my new favorite phrase!