Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pregnancy, Diet, and Weight Gain

I know, I'm pregnant, ergo I'm supposed to gain weight. I know. Really. I know.

But UUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

Here's what I ate yesterday, blow-by-blow, hour-by-hour:
6:30: Bolthouse Farms Perfectly Protein Mocha Cappuccino
7:30: Snickers Marathon Energy Bar, Dark Chocolate
8:30: Dannon Light-n-Fit Strawberry Banana Yogart Smoothie
10:10: Pringles 100 calorie tub + Babybel Cheddar cheese round
1:30: Amy's Cheddar cheese burrito + banana + viactiv calcium supplement
5:30: Home-made wrap with: 2 whole wheat tortillas, 1 slice each of swiss and provolone cheese, 1 slice ham, 2 slices turkey, 1 slice tomato, 1/4 avocado, spinach, mayo
7:00: strawberries with powdered sugar

I know I eat rather frequently in the morning and then clearly slow down in the afternoon, but I am hungrier in the morning, and all of those things are relatively small. In the afternoon I get hungry less often, but eat larger meals. I am hungry when I get home from work, but not starving.

And you know what, I'm going to go put this into Daily Plate and give you the damn nutritional breakdown, too.

Yeah: 2050 calories. Too much fat and sodium, but, duh, deli meats, cheese, and avocado. 99 grams of protein and 30 of fiber. 3 servings of veggies, 2 of fruit, 3 of milk products, and a solid protein at every meal. Lots of various vitamins and minerals.

Honestly, I know I'm not perfect. There is room for improvement there, like more veggies earlier in the day, more veggies overall, really, but, shit, I'm pretty proud of that. I was going for variety, color, more freshness than usual, more veggies and fruit than usual. No candy or chocolate at all, with the exception of the sugar with the strawberries, and sue me for that, will ya?

Oh, and I drank 5 bottles of water. 5. I peed like 50,000 times yesterday. For serious.

What gets me is that I was almost a POUND heavier this morning. A FULL POUND. Seriously?? I mean, fucking SERIOUSLY??? This is what kills me about being pregnant! There is no rhyme or reason to this. I'm supposed to gain a pound a week, not a pound a day. So what did I do wrong? Did I do anything wrong, or is this just how it is? How can I adjust my diet appropriately if the feedback is so fucked up?? Am I now going to go 7 days and then gain another pound all in one day? What if I gain another pound tomorrow??? How do I know? How do I know if I am doing this right? ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

(Yes, I know. Lighten up, Amber. No, you can't do this perfectly. You will gain what you gain. Let go. I know, but changing your thinking is much harder than just knowing you should.)

No comments: