Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Story of How We Found Out...

...that we are pregnant.

I went to this workout class at work on Tuesday evening, January 25th for the first time. I worked myself hard. Broke a great sweat. Muscles in both legs and arms quivering with exhaustion by the time I left. I was seriously pleased with myself.

Went home that night and hit the sack, and slept hard.

When I woke the next morning, I felt kind of crappy. The day before I had noticed that I looked a bit pale with pink cheeks, that I looked sick, even though I felt fine. Since I felt fine, I worked out anyways. When I woke up the next morning, I wondered if that had been a mistake. I felt fully exhausted, and just generally under the weather.

That night I was running a mild fever, and I noticed when I lay down to go to sleep that my boobs were sore. Strange. Figured my period must be coming. That isn't a normal PMS symptom for me, but it has happened before. I didn't think anything else of it.

For the rest of the week, I felt bad/tired, ran a mild fever, and had sore boobs.

On Friday I started having severe mood swings. And they weren't really mood "swings" per se, they were more one mood swing where I went over to the dark side for a little while. And by a little while I mean 3 days. For 3 days, everything P did made me want to kill him. I finally sent him upstairs to play on the computer while I read, for both of our health! At this point we both thought that all this was a particularly strong and unusual manifestation of PMS. This was strengthened by the spotting that started on Saturday, even though that is also not a normal thing for me.

I got through the weekend without killing Preston, and for some reason on Monday morning, February 1st, at work, I just felt like I must be pregnant. I started researching pregnancy symptoms on the Internet and became more and more convinced. I sent Preston a direct tweet telling him that I wanted to take a test. I was a little afraid - I figured he'd think I was being dumb because of the spotting, but I just really felt like I wanted a test. I underestimated him: he was ready with a test when I came home.

So I peed on the stick and hopped in the shower. Preston was watching the stick. I was looking through the shower door and could swear that I saw 2 lines. I asked him how we were doing and he didn't respond. I asked again and he said, "There is a 2nd line, but it is faint." I started laughing and he said, "I thought we were just doing this to ease your mind!!" Then he started reading the instructions trying to figure out if a faint line really meant pregnant. I told him that it did. He countered that the instructions said the test might not be accurate close to your period. I told him that meant false negatives, not false positives. He wasn't convinced. He wanted me to buy another test or 2 of different brands the next day and take them. I agreed, even though I was already sure I was pregnant.

The next day it was practically all I could think about. I actually got sent on an errand to CVS while at work for box-cutters. I asked the staff to help me find them, then told them that this would be the strangest combo ever, but to direct me to the pregnancy tests. I picked another "line" test of a different brand, and a digital test. And then counted the hours til I could go home.

I did go ahead and attend the workout class that evening, but took it a little easier on myself.

Then I went home and peed on another stick. Which also told me I was pregnant. I call Preston, who was at school, and left a message saying simply, "I am incubating your spawn. Love you."

The next morning I peed on the final (digital) stick, which also said I was pregnant.

Holy shit, we're having a baby.

No comments: