Thursday, January 21, 2010

Swimming Sagas

I've been staying out of the pool a bit lately due to the resolutioners and now to the recovering marathoners. Hoping that next week'll be the last one I have to spend away.

It seems that, though, the last several times I've swum, I've ended up with interesting lane partners.

There's the Bulldozer. He actually scares me. He takes up a good part of the lane and he's fast. I ended up getting a crick in my neck the days I swam with him from watching out for him, and bruises on my hands from hugging the lane line so close. He's a regular, but I avoid his lane now.

Then there's the Freight Train. Dude swims with a Longhorn 70.3 bottle. Props. I'm not scared of him like the Bulldozer, but dude kicks up some serious chop. Swimming with him is like swimming in open-water on a windy day. Heavy chop. I actually rather enjoyed it, considering it good practice.

Then there's Dude-who-complimented-my-stroke. Haven't actually shared a lane with him, but he looks to be a pretty easy swimmer too, and I'd probably enjoy it. I sure as hell enjoyed the compliment.

And there's Old Skinny Speedo Man. Slow, safe, kind. Also a regular. I time my 100 sets on his swimming.

And finally, this morning's glory: Scissorkick Lady. Looks like she packs a serious punch every time she breathes. Not my favorite lane partner.

No comments: