Wednesday, March 6, 2013

February Reading Report

I think I gave every single one of these 4 stars on Goodreads.  Guess it was a 4 star kind of month!

Fallen Angel by Daniel Silva: 
I enjoyed this book.  I especially liked the parts in Rome – it was well written and gave me confidence that the other geographic areas were being portrayed accurately.  I struggled a bit with some of the political groups and their connections – as someone who doesn’t pay that much attention to the news I did feel at a disadvantage.  I also occasionally felt at a disadvantage for not having read the rest of the series.  But it was a good engaging read/story.

Killing Moon by N. K. Jemison: 
I had a little trouble in the beginning with the multiple characters and shifting viewpoints, but I love how the author didn’t dumb it down for me, and I did eventually catch up and was drawn even further into the world through the LACK of exposition.  I love that although it is the beginning of a series, I was satisfied with the book as a stand-alone.  But I will and would pick up the next book when it comes out.  The system of magic was fascinating and based enough in something that is understandable that it felt real.  The setting inspired by Africa felt unique in fantasy.  Great read.

Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray: 
Quick, easy, enjoyable read.  Really spoke to me.  Would appeal primarily to female audience, though I think it is the type of book women WISH their men would read.  Loved it.

Criminal by Karin Slaughter: 
I really enjoyed this book.  I was sucked in, horrified and sickened at the crime, and really wondering how everything would play out.  Only rarely did I feel like I was missing the back story of the previous novels – like I may have cared even more if I had read the others.  I was kind of annoyed at the cliffhanger ending.

Heartbroken by Lisa Unger: 
I enjoyed this one very much.  I initially wasn’t sure what the point was, how the threads would connect together, and had to trust that somewhere everyone would congeal.  They did, but it was later than I would have expected, and I had this sense of dread that everything was going to come to some kind of explosion.  I was really drawn in as the meeting occurred, but then the conclusion left me sort of meh.

No comments: