Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Long Awaited Book Review Post

Playing Dead by Julia Heaberlin:
I enjoyed this one.  Was occasionally a little confused on the plot, but was always eventually led out.  Really liked the voice of the writing, and the depiction of Texas.  There were several quotes where I was just all, "Texas!" complete with fist pump.  Highly recommended.

Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafron:
I was a little disturbed by the occasional obviousness that books that I hadn’t read were written about these people and this world before.  I also, at times, had trouble following the thread of the story.  Fermin’s story was really engaging, but the rest of it was just meh for me.

Restoration by Olaf Olaffson:
Spoiler alert: not a fan of this one.  Was interested to see what would happen, but do NOT care to read about dying kids, affairs, husbands that loved people and then died and were rotting ON THE PROPERTY.  Nope.

Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison:
I didn’t expect to like this one.  It seemed like such a downer.  But I immediately liked the “realness” and humor of Ben’s voice and through that I felt for him.  I also loved the story lines, Trev finds a crush, Ben finds forgiveness for HIMSELF, which is the most important thing of all.  Highly recommended.

Tigers in Red Weather by Lisa Klaussmann:
Loved the shifting points of view in sections, so you get the story from one, then some overlap and additional info from someone else, etc.  Loved Nick’s feeling of detachment that felt so real to me.  Thought it was a lovely book, great read.  Didn’t like the last maybe… 5 pages, though.  The ending was just…wtf??  Recommended.

Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian:

I really enjoyed this book.  Loved the juxtaposition of modern and the story.  Did not expect what the secret was.  Occasionally was very aware that bits of the story were being written as fiction and found that a little jarring, but it was written into the story that way.  Very engrossing treatment of an underrepresented and horrifying historical event with a very satisfying ending.

Goodbye for Now by Laurie Frankel:
Loved, loved, loved, LOVED.  Solid 4+ stars until I read the ending and then, crying, BOOM, 5 stars.  That and when I went back and looked at how many passages I had highlighted, WOW!  READ THIS.  Do not pass go - it is worth the $200.

Finished Fallen Angels last night.  Will review with February's reviews.  Working on Killing Moon now.

No comments: