Thursday, May 17, 2012

Ass Acclimatization

All has been quiet on the blogfront because all has not been quiet on the homefront.

Quick car recap: after the Menace broke down on Thursday the 3rd and the repair shop couldn't figure out what was wrong or re-create the frequent inexplicable dying-while-driving, I decided I needed a new car, stat.  I really wanted to get the Menace to 200,000 miles.  I knew it was worth practically nothing as a trade-in and I wanted to make it last as long as possible.  But as I was driving it with my baby in the car and it was dying, and dying, and dying, I realized that it just wasn't cutting it any more.  I need a car that I can trust with my child's life.  And the Menace wasn't earning my trust any more.  I test drove cars that Friday, Saturday, and the following Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and on Saturday I purchased my very first new new car: an Acura MDX.  I'll get some pictures this weekend, promise!

Quick family recap: P's family was supposed to come in on Sunday to (start) clean(ing) out AD's house.  His mother, JaMIL, called us on Saturday when she was about an hour away (and I was at the dealership buying my car) to inform us that she was almost in town and she was spending the night.  She's just my favorite person EVAR.  So anyways, when I got home she was waiting there to insult me and my choice of car and color of car and type of gas that goes in car, etc.  So that was fun.  She stayed with us that night, and we all went over to AD's house on Sunday.  That also sucked, not because of his family, the rest of whom I really like, but because it just really sucks to clean out someone's house.  P's grandmother seemed to lean on me - I don't know if it is because I'm not blood family, or because I wasn't demanding anything from her, or what - but it was really hard to see her struggling emotionally with cleaning out her sister's house.  She is still mourning AD deeply, and probably will for the rest of her life.  And that was painfully evident and difficult to see.  We retrieved lots of P's stuff that had never left AD's, plus a few sentimental things - a quilt, a globe, a clock.  I asked for AD's china since I didn't get china for my wedding and AD was like P's mom, but I think JaMIL is going to get it.  Whatever.  This whole process has been an exercise in letting go.

Quick Z recap: little monster wasn't going down for naps last weekend.  It was hell.  Sheer hell.  I'll leave it at that.

Quick me recap: I LOVE MY NEW CAR!!  I need a name, though.  I think the stress of everything finally got to me, and I'm sick with a headache, general malaise, and a vicious cough.  Lame.  Maids came again on Tuesday, still love my maids.  Best money I spend, no kidding.  I've been back on my trainer lots, reacclimatizing my ass to the bike seat.  Ouch.  But I'm seeing good progress and hope to hit the actual road soon!  Also remembering how to run with heavy legs.  Can't say I missed that, but love feeling like a budding triathlete again.  Can't wait til the pool opens at the end of this month!!!

No comments: