Thursday, January 12, 2012

Runners Run

That's a line from Monique Rubin's Why I Run essay over at Another Mother Runner.

And it spoke to me.

Monday morning I ran because I was in a full panic over the 5K that I have coming up on Sunday.  You know, because I haven't run since THANKSGIVING.

This morning I ran because I'm a runner.  And runners run.  Damnit. 

No excuses that it was chilly.  That there was a warm kitty on me that made me get up late.   That I didn't have enough time.  I got out there and did what I had time for.  And was glad: there was the most interesting thing going on this morning.  A front was blowing in.  I'd hear what sounded like rain, far off, like it was coming towards me quickly.  There wasn't a cloud in the sky.  The sound would rush towards me, and as it got closer, I'd realize it was leaves, then the trees around me would begin bending violently in the wind, leaves rattling, and a huge gust of cold wind would hit me.  The gust would be followed by a few seconds of a steady blow, then some little stirring multi-directional gusts, then nothing until I heard the distant rain sound in the trees.  And it repeated over and over this morning.  It was cold, but really kind of lovely.

The 5K on Sunday will make this my first 3 run week in a long time.  :-)  And that makes me feel like a runner.  And that is a very good thing.

No comments: