Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Gym Membership(s)

I'm thinking about dropping my YMCA membership.  There, I said it.  Blarg.  I really don't *want* to drop it.  But let's face it: I'm paying people $50 a month to NOT USE their facility.  Mostly because of timing.  My Y opens at 5am, near work, and far far away from my home.  I have to *finish* exercising at 5am, near home, to take the baby to daycare.   That means that I can basically go one day a week, Fridays, when I work a half day.  But let's face it (again), if I have spare time on Fridays right now I'm using it to clean and/or sleep.  Even if I went every single Friday, I'd be paying more than $13 per visit.  If I park at work and walk over so I don't have to pay for parking.  It just isn't worth it any more.

I've hung on to the membership this long hoping that maybe when my parents move down here I could start going back... but who knows when that will be?  And how much money am I blowing in the meantime?  And even then I'll have to work around the hours, which means I'd be going to work later than I wanted because they just don't open early enough for me.

Plus, our neighborhood pool (that we also pay for) is open for the summer right now.  And they have a weight room open 24 hours year round.  So the Y is really *just* for the pool.

Annnnd, I'm really not going to be doing any triathlons until AT LEAST next May.  I mean, I love to swim, but right now I'd just be doing it for the love and the weight loss, not for the training.  And it is way less time consuming to do other forms of working out at the moment.

I think I'm going to do it.  I think I'm going to drop the membership.

In the future, even when my parents move down here, I might think about a 24 Hour Fitness so the timing issue isn't a problem.  There is one a few miles from my house.  I just checked their website, and at least right now, a membership is actually *cheaper* than my current Y membership.  Maybe I could watch Groupon or something to try and get a deal, too, since I'm in no rush.  And they're open 24 hours a day!  Something tells me that I'd actually have the pool to myself at 4am, which'd be pretty freaking sweet!  They've also got babysitting services, so moving forward that's something I could also consider for the weekends.  Yeah, I think I'm sold.  I'm dropping my membership at the Y.

This is not a declaration of a lifestyle change (away from the healthy).  This is just an acknowledgement that what I have isn't working for me.  I need to search for better options.

No comments: