Monday, May 11, 2009

Summer Has Arrived

My run at the CB&I was the first real heat I've run in this year. Of course, it was later in the day that I normally run. It had been being in the high 60's or low 70's before daylight, and I was ok with that.

After CB&I, I took a week off, and in that one week, I swear the morning temps got 10 degrees hotter and 50% more humid. This is the time last year when I truly lost my mojo. This year, my mojo has been a bit misplaced since January, so I figure now is when I get it back. If I can get through the next couple of weeks without walking on my runs, and without losing all of my speed, I can go into next winter in a much stronger position. So I figure, let's go 3-6 miles 3-4 times per week through the end of May, no walk breaks. I can run as slow as I need to (because speed can always be added back if you can sustain your heartrate in the "running zone"), but I can't walk. Started it off this morning with a 4 miler that took 45 minutes. Whatever, I didn't walk. Did a nice pick-up at the end to sub-9 pace and held for just a few minutes, to prove to myself that I could.

And I decided on this fall's racing plans. I'm going to do a whole load of half marathons, with the goal of improving my times at that distance. And with the goal of doing a half-iron in April. Bring it on!!

No comments: