Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Goal Update

Let's start by saying that this post was mostly written as things happened over the course of the month.  There is no way I'd have the mojo to actually do this today otherwise.

An update on yesterday's post: the doc finally called me back after I called a second time and basically had a hysterical sobbing fit on the phone with a nurse who then upgraded my call to "urgent".  (She was actually very helpful, got me calmed down, seemed to care.)  Unsurprisingly, I'm to discontinue the pill.  She also has ordered an ultrasound for me, and I'm to call her in 7 days if things haven't... stopped.  (They won't have.)  I am feeling better about all of that - just an acknowledgement of a real problem is very helpful for me, in terms of giving me the patience to jump through whatever hoops are necessary.

Now, on to the previously written goal update.

1. Work: make at least one presentation. DONE.
2. Work: write an article.  Still working on it!
3. Work: get involved in "the community".  Not yet.
4. Workout: Train for something in a focused way.  Not yet.  But I've continued with P90X3, plus managed to get myself both back on the road for a run about once a week, and back into the pool once a week.
5. Workout: Get at least one not-in-Texas race.  Not yet.  Looking at you, Florida.  In June.  Hot.
6. Workout: Do a triathlon.  Signed up for the CB&I and also the Tri Aggieland.
7. Workout: Get my butt back in the pool regularly.  Not often enough yet, but yes!
8. Workout: Go climbing. Not yet.
9.  Life: Lose 20 pounds.  Weight on January 2 it was 152.6.  Weight on Feb 1 was 151.6.  Weight this morning was 151.4.  I got as low as 150 and I think that is closer to the truth, but .  It started going back up yesterday, even though I didn't change anything other than my mental state.  It was a difficult month due to MawMaw's death and 2 unexpected trips to Fredericksburg and hormone stuff.  I can't eat as well while traveling as I'd like, but I did focus on not overindulging and I am really pleased with how that went, overall.
10. Life: Focus on conscientious spending.  Well.... I focused on it.  I watched very carefully while we careened into the red. Sigh.  The 2 trips to FBG killed it, and then my car needed a repair.  It would be worse if I wasn't watching it, I know.  But it hurts to work for something so hard and have it not work out.  The other day in a fit of frustration I went ahead and registered for both of my upcoming professional conferences, since the budget is already blown this month (they are reimbursable but that never happens in the same month as the expenditure, so it always makes budgeting for them a bitch).  On a positive note, we did MUCH better with our food budget.  We can still do better with our shopping budget, but it improved as well.  March is a new month.  I will not stop trying.  We need to take these gains and carry them forward.
11. Life: Improve the garden. Got the last box built, and the planted things are thriving!  In March I need to get dirt for those last 2 boxes and plant some more things!
12. Life: Go camping in Brazos Bend State Park. Not yet.  Maybe early April?
13. Life: Go camping in Huntsville State Park. Not yet.  BUT I do have camping reservations in March for Stephen F Austin State Park!
14. Life: Have an epic Disney vacation.  Not yet, but I'm paying it down.
15. Life: Make stained glass things. Not yet.
16. Life: Take fabulous pictures with the awesome new camera.  Yes!  That is the good that came out of the FBG trips - great pictures!  I've gotten on Instagram and added a widget to the sidebar so my new stuff will be easy to see.  I'm also posting some of my favorite old stuff because I like it, and I like the idea of having one place for the stuff I'm really proud of.

Not a goal, but I read or listened to 7 (official) books in February!  I also read 8 romances that I didn't track on Goodreads, for a total of 15. ;-)

And the aquarium has a thermometer and I've been working with the water to try to get it just right for fish.

I signed up for a race in March, but canned it at the last minute when Z got sick.  Good thing it wasn't a goal!

All in all, I'm pleased with this month, except for the whole plunge into depression thing.

No comments: