Tuesday, October 16, 2012

10 for Texas Race Recap

The day before the race I went to Luke's to pick up my packet and I bought new running shoes.  I've known for a few weeks that I needed a new pair because I had started feeling a shin splint on my left leg.  Shin splints for me are a new shoe signal.  Also, my last pair was from January, which makes me guess they had over 500 miles on them.  Which is dumb because I know better, and I try to aim for every 3-6 months no matter how much or little I'm running.  10 months on a replacement pair is stupid.  So I got a pair of Glycerin 9's, and I decided to wear them to the race, even though they were new, because I didn't want to make the shin splints worse by running 10 miles in the worn out shoes.  And I felt pretty stupid for putting myself in the worst situation - trying new shoes on race day, idiot.

This conversation happened the night before the race:
P: How far is your race tomorrow, 5K?
Me: No, 10 miles.
P: Holy shit, you are fucked!
Me: Thanks for the vote of confidence.
P: Sorry, it is just so FAR!
Me: You realize I've fun 16 miles farther than that before, right?

The morning of the race we were able to wake up a little later than we had been for recent races.  That's one of the reasons I love this race: it is close to home.  (And it has hella great swag.)  I pounded down some coffee and a Snickers Marathon bar.  As we were driving to the race, I realized that it was so close to home that P and Z could  actually go home if they didn't want to hang out, so I had them drop me off at the entrance to Market Street and off they went.  I found a wall to sit on and read my book (Kindle app on iPhone) until a few minutes before the start.

Another reason I love this race is that it is so well organized.  They had pace signs up, so I went and got behind the 10 minute mile sign, totally knowing that I wouldn't be going for any PRs.  This was my first 10 mile run of the season and I was treating it as a supported long training run.  The gun went off and 2 minutes later I was across the starting line.

Oh, one more thing to add: it was hot, probably 75, and humid.  Bad conditions all around.

Early on in the race, I noticed that I was getting passed by an interesting cast of characters. 
Mile 1: a one-armed man.
Mile 2: dude pushing a DOUBLE Bob.  (On a TEN MILE RUN.  Dude is a beast.)
Mile 3: an 8 year old.
Mile 4: a 70+ year old.  (Not that you'd know it, looking at him, until you saw the back of his neck.  Funny give away!)
Mile 5: a race walker with a 4 foot "swing span".  (Seriously, y'all.  Dude was a menace.)

Then in mile 6 I made the kind of pass you never want to make: runner down.  I didn't stop to help because she was already being helped and I knew I couldn't do anything that wasn't already being done.  Soon after I heard the ambulance sirens.  I truly hope she was ok.  And after that I became determined in my quest to enjoy my run despite the pain I knew I'd feel by the end... because I was still running.

And so I did.

Ironically, mile 6-7 was the best mile of the whole race for me.  I took a Ginseng Honey Stinger gel at the mile 4 aid station and I think it kicked in right around 6, where I just felt like I was chugging along and I could go forever.

Speaking of nutrition, I did much better this race.  I took Gatorade at mile 2, gel at 4 and 8, an orange at 6, and water at 4, 6, 8, and 9. I had no GI/nausea issues!

And speaking of aid stations, I was running a 9/1, plus walking aid stations until about 8 miles in when I switched to walking the aid station plus about halfway between (which I think came out at about a 5/1).  It worked well for me.

I was tired by the end, and glad to be done, but I actually felt better than I did after my 8 miler in Galveston the weekend before, so there's that!

Final time: 1:52:10.4 for 11:27 a mile.  And a medal. :-)

And then we headed off to work on AD's house, but that's a whole 'nother post.

No comments: