Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Email = Evil Temptress

So I'm thinking of doing a triathlon this summer.  I think it has been 3 years since I've tri'd?  OMG, yes, almost 4 years!

Screw it, I just left this screen and signed up.

What I was going to say is that 2 days ago I got an email that the Bridgeland Triathlon is open for registration.  It is a sprint: 500m swim, 14 mi bike, 3.65 mi run.  And they give tech t's and medals.  The complication?  It is right on the heels of my vacation, and I don't intend on training during my vacation.  Oh, and I haven't ridden my bike since I found out I was pregnant in 20-freaking-10.  And I haven't hit the pool since last summer, since I no longer have a gym membership.  Nice.

But, but it is only a 500m swim.  My local pool will open in June, so I could swim a few times a week while P and Z splash around in the other end, and that'd get me to non-drowning capability.  (Actually, I've been swimming all my life, and I'm pretty confident I could do a 500m swim right now and not drown, but it'd suck pretty hard.)

And I haven't been riding my bike, but I have been stationary cycling.  It wouldn't be too hard to switch over to the trainer, and in a few months hit the road.  I think I have a good start on the fitness for an hour long ride - this morning I rode for 40 minutes - I just need some practice on not falling off the bike.  I can do that in 4 months.  Totally.

And I have been running.  I could do the run now.  Slowly, but I'm sure of it.

So, really, if you think about it, this will allow me to continue focusing on my run base - short, but hopefully speeding up.  My cross training just needs to pick up a few sessions a week on a real bike instead of the stationary, and after a month or 2, move it outside.  And pick up some swimming when it gets warm, which I would totally do anyways - I love to swim!

And the vacation - I'll be ok.  It is the best timing for a tri, because August is when half marathon training begins.  I'll have a nice aerobic base built up for the tri, and then I'll just need to start converting it to running long.

I'm going to be a triathlete again!

Updated to add: I couldn't get over that it had been since August 2008 since I had done a tri, and I was right, it was actually May 2009.  Still, that'll be more than 3 years when Bridgeland rolls around.  It is time.

No comments: