Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tour de Houston Ride Recap

So going into the Tour de Houston I was suffering from a confidence low.  I had 3 rough weeks of training: a trainer week, a rain week with low mileage, and a hill week with medium mileage that killed me.  I had signed up for the 60 mile route, and I planned on going out with the 60 milers, but I was fully prepared to drop to the 40, and actually planning on it, until the day before.  When I visited Adron and his family, all of whom encouraged me to go for the 60, and his lovely wife, who reminded me there is always the option to SAG if I go for it and can't finish.

I wasn't 100% comfortable with the SAG option, so I talked with P about it that night and made him promise that if I went for it and needed him, he'd fetch me.  He promised, and with that in pocket, I decided that I'd decide at the second rest stop.

The morning of the TdH I woke with a typical race day grumpy tummy.  I left my house 90 minutes prior to race time, and that was perfect.  I parked in Lot H, which was probably the farthest option from the start, but the only one I was sure I could get to without encountering rought traffic or road closures.  That is one complaint I have: the City did not do a good job posting road closures on the website.  I decided to walk my bike to the start because the roads were not closed or monitored from parking to the start (which would have been a nice touch), and we all know how I love traffic.  I felt a little goofy, but it was the right choice for me. 

Got to the start, visited the Honey Buckets, posed for a team pic, and got in line.  They were doing a wave start, but there were So. Many. People.  I just didn't see how it could possibly be really working?  They didn't really give guidelines as to what speeds they were starting when, so I waited about 12 waves and then jumped in.  I started at the back of my wave, as is my preference.

Everybody who drives in Houston knows the roads are crap, but WOW, you don't really know til you've had a tiny bike seat up your butt as you try to navigate the cracks and bumps without ending up on the ground.  Within the first mile I ended up in a crack and my bike kind of jumped out of it?  It is a miracle I didn't wipe out. 

It was also sooooo crowded at the beginning, even with the wave start.  Just a lot of bodies trying to settle into position in one lane.  I was white-knuckling it essentially all the way to the second rest stop.

Where I decided to go for 60, like a crazy person.

It was muuuuuuuuuch lonlier after that.

Here is the quick run down on stats/food/feeling for my future reference:
Rest stop 1: 11mi, 53 min, ate half banana, drank Gatorade, used buckets, felt totally fine.
Rest stop 2: 23.6 mi, 1:53 min, ate half banana, pretzels, drank Gatorade, used buckets, felt pretty good.
Rest stop 3: 38.6 mi, 3 hours flat, ate pretzels, 4 peanut butter crackers, 2 oreos, used buckets, was starting to feel a little rough.
Rest stop 4: I don't have any clue - I missed it, as did EVERYONE around me.  And that really really really sucked because I NEEDED it badly and was counting on it.
Mile 52: Saw Adron's wife and brood and felt momentarily rejuvenated from the hardcore bonking that was in progress.
Mile 56: Sweat or sunscreen got into left eye.  Copious tears.  Trying to ride with one eye open, right eye becomes irritated by wind.  See cop up ahead, pull over to get it under control.  Cop was soooo nice.  Came over to see if I was ok, offered me water.  I must have looked a mess - crying big fat baby tears.  But it cleared up pretty quickly with some rubbing and on I went.
Mile 58: Saw Adron and wife and brood and almost stopped, but only 2 miles to go, so hey, kept on riding despite being unsure I'd be able to stand when it was over.
Mile 60: I WAS LIED TO.  DOWNTOWN STILL LOOKS FAR.  I. HATE. EVERYBODY.
Mile 62: Finished.  4:55 for the whole shebang.

The good: The police officers at the intersections, for the most part, were totally awesome.  The signage was excellent - I was never afraid that I was lost.

The bad: The 3rd rest stop didn't have Gatorade.  Or if they did, they were out by the time I got there.  Either way, this really wasn't cool.  This was the only station that was just for the 60 milers and it should have been the best stocked, not the worst.  The roads blew.  Obviously there was a problem with that 4th rest stop marking.  I swear all the others had flags and cones and signs... I was LOOKING for all that.  Either I went temporarily blind or they failed to mark the 4th one.

The ugly: The course ran through some really terrible parts of Houston.  You'd think calling it the Tour de Houston they'd take you through some parts they would actually want people to see?  Instead Adron's wife and brood got to witness a SHOOTING while watching riders go by.  Seriously.  Before I even knew that, I was riding along at several points remembering Adron's wife telling me I could SAG and thinking, maybe, but I sure as hell couldn't here, and I hope I don't have a mechanical.  Really, really disappointing route.

But, I FINISHED!!!  6-freaking-2 miles.  And my confidence is back.  Yes, I was dead on my wheels by the end, but I'd only have had to go 15 more miles to be done for the day on the MS.  And that will be with more time, and I think better rest stops, and more training between now and then.  I'm going to be ok.  I'm going to make it.  And that makes me so happy!!!


No comments: