Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Rhythm and Blues 5K Race Report

On Friday I got this email from a friend of mine from work with a last chance to sign up for R&B races.  She had asked me several times if I was going to do this race and I was tempted, but not sure because of MS150 training.  It was on a Sunday, so ideal to not interfere with a ride, but I wasn't sure how my legs were going to take the riding, so I never signed up. 

But as I've mentioned, my legs seem to be adapting very well with minimal soreness the next day.  That has been the most amazing thing when I compare cycling to running - running has 48 hours of soreness for me.  Cycling is only same day then done.  So when I got the email from my friend, I was all what the hell, I'll do it.

She was also nice enough to pick up the packet for me!  And I was able to park at her place which was about 1.5 miles from the start/finish.

The race was well organized.  The tech shirt is very cool with the Houston skyline around the bottom.  There were 3 bands along the 5K course, which were great!  And there was a medal at the end.

The course was Allen Parkway.  Not my favorite, but good hill practice.  My time wasn't stellar... I'm guessing around 32 minutes (the official times aren't up yet), but that isn't a surprise given that I rode 38 miles the day before!  In fact, truly the surprise was that I ran as much as I did.  I made the first mile with no walk breaks, the second mile with 2, and the third mile as needed.

With the exception of the water right at the finish line (THANK YOU for that!), the refreshments at the end were a bit frustrating.  Just two tiny tents and you needed to turn in a ticket for your one time through the line.  So already at the end of the 5K there was a big long line.  And then a grumpy lady yelling that you can only have one of each type of thing.  Not my favorite.  For the price we paid (and I'm assuming the 10k and Half paid even more), I'd prefer that they just get ENOUGH food for everyone, instead of artificially limiting the food.

Then I wandered back to my car and home to EAT ALL THE THINGS for the second day in a row.  That was actually my major overarching feeling Sunday afternoon - hungry and tired.

All in all, a very successful training weekend!  And my body seems to be adapting very well.  I couldn't be more pleased.

No comments: