Monday, March 17, 2014

I ran! And made a crazy goal.

Twice to be precise.

I ran last Tuesday afternoon.  I left work early, I hadn't exercised, and I just... wanted to.  So I grabbed my handy C25K app and set it on week 5 day 1 - that's warm-up, 5 min run, 3 min walk, rinse, repeat 3 times.

It went well!  And I was so happy.  I was hoping that with all of the P90X3 and Booty Barre and Boot Camp, etc, that I wouldn't need to start from Day 1.  And I didn't!

Then my Friday Booty Barre class got cancelled.  I was all dressed out and ready to go, so I ran again.  On Tuesday I felt like I didn't need the full 3 minute walk break.  And I've been experimenting with RunKeeper, and noticed that it gives you an update every 5 minutes.  So I decided to use that to my advantage and run 4/walk 1, queuing off the app. I managed a full 5K in 7 repetitions.  And though I was getting quite tired, I really felt like I could have kept up that pattern for a while longer. 

So I was very pleased with that run as well!

I have 2 5Ks scheduled in April.  One as a part of my annual conference for work, and one that was originally scheduled back in January that got moved.  It is good to know that I will survive!  I'm going to try to get in at least 2 runs a week between now and then, so that maybe I can do more than survive.

I think my goals, longer term... this year is Thanksgiving in Dallas.  So I will be at 8 miles by November.  In a really cool perfect world, I'd really really like to be at 10 miles by October so I can run 10 for Texas.  But I will not push for that if I have issues.  I do not want to go over 10 miles this year.  I want to stay at 8-10 and focus on complete running and maybe a bit of speed over shorter distances.  Because....

I want to run the Texas Independence Relay next year.

Eeep!  I said it.

The longest legs of the relay are just under 7 miles, so my goal is to get solid again in the short distances, then as it approaches, run some doubles so I can get the legs used to being tired.

I've actually coerced convinced, I think, 4 people already in joining my craziness.  Any other interested crazies awesome runners?

No comments: