Wednesday, December 5, 2012

La Porte By the Bay Half Marathon Race Report

I signed up for this race as a long supported training run, really.  And it was to be my longest run since February 14, 2010.  Wow!

So I really had no idea what to expect.  Scratch that.  I was hard core nervous!  My longest run this training cycle was the 10 for Texas back in early October, eek!  And I just ran the 8 mile Turkey Trot, but that was a little rough, in all honesty.  So my confidence was a little low.  I was trying to console myself with the idea that I knew I could do 8, I could probably do 10, and after that if I had to walk home, I could.  But even that sounded pretty rough!

View near the start.
But then something kind of wonderful happened.  I was telling a friend about my nerves, and was warned about the cheese that was about to get laid on me, but was then advised to go into my belly with the butterflies, become one, mentally, then fly away with them.  And I did, and it WORKED.  I felt so... connected with the world in that moment.  Then they started playing the national anthem and the lady next to me was signing it for her companion and it was beautiful, I was captivated, it looked like a dance with her hands.  And then we were running and it was quiet except the pounding of a thousand feet with a single purpose.  And I was reminded about *why* I do this.  Why it is special.  Why it is wonderful.

The plan was to start out at 9/1's plus water stops, and switch to 4/1's when I needed to.  In the beginning, I was trying to tuck in behind people who I felt were going a little slow so that I didn't go out too fast, as I can on long runs.  But I'd look down at my watch and be pushing 9's!  I don't know if it was my spiritual moment or what, but that is crazy fast for me right now for distance running.  But I couldn't seem to slow it down, even when I was really trying, so I decided to go with it and hope the walk breaks kept me out of trouble.  And honestly, I was completely floored by how well it was going.
Looming.

After about 4 miles, we took a turn and the bridge positively LOOMED in front of us.  I didn't want to blow out on it, so no being a hero and running up the whole thing for me.  I was just going to stick with my plan and 9/1.  That resulted in only one walk break on the upside, and one near the bottom on the downside.  We hit the mile 5 marker on the upside, and that's where the race leaders passed me at their 10 mile marker, almost home, wow!

Long way up.
I love downhill running, and got a good chant going:
Lift through core, relax, swing free,
Minimize contact with the ground, don't brake, gravity.

There were times where I was so in the zone that my eyes were just barely open.

After we got down the other side of the bridge we did this out and back, and this was the view from the turnaround.  Look how tiny the bridge looks!!  I just came from there and I'm going back there, wowzers!

I was just there!
Oh, and I distinctly remember that when I flipped over 8 miles, I had done it FASTER than the Turkey Trot last week!  In a longer race!

At 90 minutes in, I switched to 4/1's.  I didn't need to yet, but I did it pre-emptively, hoping to stave off the crash I knew was coming.

Heading back up the other side.
Oh, I should mention that I had a gel at 2 and 6, and gatorade at every other stop, and water to pour all over me because it was over 70 degrees.  On DECEMBER 2nd!!!!!  Insane!

Anyways, I was on 4/1's, made it up the bridge again, and then I was going so well on the way down I decided to skip the walk break!  Unheard of!

View near the top.
That turned me over 10 miles, and from there it started to get a little rough.  Just kept focusing on moving forward.  At just over 11 miles, a 9 year old and her Dad blazed past me, him encouraging her all the way, her looking really pretty great.  Inspiring.  At 12 miles, I was running in lock step with a man who was on the opposite side of the road and just behind me.  I was in the zone, eyes almost closed, just motoring through it.  He really pushed me until my next walk break, just hovering behind me like a metronome.

Shortly after that, we turned onto the home stretch and one of the leaders came by and told us we were almost there, the finish was at the flashing lights.  Everyone at that point kind of started talking to each other and supporting each other, really pretty cool.

And I crossed the line in 2:26:21.  Only 12 minutes off my PR and my 3rd best half mary time ever.  Considering that I wasn't sure I could finish: SOLD!!!!

Also got 2, count them 2, medals at the finish line.  One for the race, and one for completing the Texas Bridge Series, which I'd highly recommend to anyone.  Great hill training, great swag, cleanest porta-pots EVER, well run, good stuff!

2 medals, baby!
And finally feeling confident heading into my A raceS: The End of the World Half and the Day After the End of the World Half. :-)

No comments: