Friday, November 2, 2012

October Book Reviews

Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines: loved. Very neat concept - the magic comes from the collective belief in books.  So you can reach inside a book and draw out anything that is there - Excalibur, the healing potion from Narnia, a communicator, weapon, whatever.  Think of this as fantasy for the true book lover.  If you love books, and you love fantasy, you should love this one.

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway: did end up abandoned.  This is a book for my committee, so I'll try again in a month or two.  I just couldn't get past the writing style.  I did try having P read it to me, and I did not hate it quite as much that way, so I may try the audiobook version for my sanity.

Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker: I liked the writing style of this one, and I liked what she had to say.  It felt very... real to me.  For example, in the book, they find out that the earth's rotation is slowing.  This is bad, a crisis, and the way that she describes how this family reacts to the news on the TV about it felt *just* like 9/11 to me.  Just very real, very well said.  But it is made me... moody.  The message was there, and it was real, but damn, what a downer.  I mean, for me, this was a 5 star book that I could only give 4 stars to because I was so depressed at the end.

Started but not completed:

Frost on His Shoulders by Lorenzo Mediano: I'm not far enough into it to really pass judgment on the story/plot, but it is a translation, and I can tell that it is a translation, and that is a bit of a hang-up for me.  We'll see how it plays out.  It is a small book, so even if it drives me nuts, I should be able to finish it.

I went ahead and bought Prisoner of Heaven and Restoration for the Kindle (the cheapest of my required reading) so I'll start one of those asap.

No comments: