Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dear Blogger

It's been a while!  Why?  Not because I don't love you any more, but because I WENT ON VACATION!!!

Sort of.

I really went to Galveston for a weekend and then cleaned my home for a week, but still!

So I've obviously got a lot to catch you up on, so we'll do several posts of various redux.  For now, my morning run recap:  I RAN!!!!!

Hurricane Lee (or Tropical Storm??) made landfall in Louisiana on Friday.  We got NO RAIN (in the middle of the worst drought in history, and now practically the entire state in on fire), but lots of wind, and MIRACLE OF MIRACLES, somehow Lee allowed our first "cold front" of the year to come on down.  Lowering the temps a miraculous 10 degrees from hot-as-hell to simply really-freaking-hot.  Or in layman's terms, from over 100 degrees to in the 90's.  I know, genius, right?  But here's the real kicker: it lowered our morning temps from a not-so-fun-to-run-in 80+ degrees to a FREAKING BRILLIANT 70- degrees.  I'll take it!!

So this morning I went for a run.  My thermometer said 67.  AWESOME.  It truly was a lovely temp.  Really nice.  And un-humid.

But it was kind of a funky run.  As I was still walking my warm-up, I started being shadowed by a creepy moron in a gray/champagne SUV.  And it had to be on purpose, because I was walking down a hill, and let's face it, cars don't even IDLE that slow.  When we got to the stop sign, I glanced over to see if there was a turn signal (none) before I crossed the street.  Right as I got to the other side, the idiot made a left turn and hit the curb/stop sign.  Moron.  I started running.  Because let's face it, I'm not being a Good Samaratin to an idiot who is probably drunk and just drove FROM A STOP into a stop sign after creepily stalking me all the way down the street.  Not gonna happen.

So my run started off with a bang (crash), and I was out of breath from the mild freak-out I was having from the stalking.  And then I was trying to figure out my route and if I needed to change it to something less obvious from the direction I was heading when the idiot last saw me.  It was sucky.

Then I ran by a skunk.  I managed not to tick him off (yay, me!), but first time I've seen one of those in the neighborhood.

Ran 2.5 miles straight (Yay, go me!!!), saw the skunk again on my way back, debated changing routes to avoid idiot-intersection, didn't, idiot wasn't there, got home.  Because of the wildfires it felt like I was running with a smoker (the kind you cook meat in, not the human kind with a death wish) right next to me: I could smell it, taste it, feel it in my lungs.  Not cool.  But still not complaining because of the lovely cool temps, and the overall success of the no-walking run after a little 2 week lay-off.

No comments: