Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Choices

I think it is easy as a Depression sufferer/survivor to feel powerless.  To feel down about life.  To feel out of control, or worse, so hopelessly mired in place that you cannot possibly imagine getting out of the quicksand you're sinking in.  So you give up and let the sand take you.  Or you sit there, unable to make a decision, and the sand takes you.

I am not there right now.

I am proud to not be there right now.

But I will probably be there again.  I know that feeling.  I know it so well, and I have to fight it off on a daily basis.

I want to say this to my potential future self, the one who may be stuck.  Get up and move.  Yes, it looks like it all sucks.  Yes, that sucks.  And yes, it is certainly possible that whatever actions you take will have no effect.  But you know what I know for sure?  No action will certainly not get you out of this place.  Some action is ALWAYS better than no action.

Get off the couch and go for a walk.

Eat something healthier.  Or at least put down the cookies and ice cream.

Clean one thing.  Any one thing.  Then do another thing tomorrow.

Go do something.  Something that you want to do.  Anything.

CHANGE YOUR MIND.

No, it won't happen overnight.  But it is the little things.  You need to give yourself little victories.  Look at the big picture.  You are ALIVE.  You are still breathing.  CHOOSE to make today better than yesterday.

You wake up every morning and you have a choice.  You are choosing to be here.  You are choosing to live your life the way you are living it.  If you are depressed, something is wrong.  Make a change.  Make a different choice.  But engage.  Don't let your inaction choose for you.  Don't sink in the quicksand because you couldn't lift the fog long enough to do anything.  Do something.  Anything.  Please.

Choose life.

Live life.

No comments: