Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

I normally have an aversion to doing a "thankfullness" review in my life on a day that is set by society. Also because thanks implies and object. To whom am I thankful? Being an athiest, I am rarely thankful in the broad sense required by Thanksgiving. However, I am appreciative of and for lots of things, every day. But for some reason, this year, I feel like I want to make a list. Maybe it is the lack of running. Maybe it is the people who might not be around next year at this time. Maybe I'm just being sentimental. No matter the reason buried in the depths of my twisted psyche, here it is.

I appreciate my Preston who is my partner in life. I am thankful to him for all the little things he does to make our lives better. And the big things too.

I appreciate my family, those by birth who I will miss today, and those by marriage. (Even those I do not like, because I know I can learn from them too.)

I appreciate my job, at which I am finally feeling (more) fulfilled and (more) happy.

I appreciate my kitties, because they are snuggly, loving, and warm, and because they remind me that life doesn't have to be so complicated.

I appreciate my body, even though it is currently a little bit broken, because it swims, bikes, and runs. I appreciate that change that happened imperceptibly in the past 2 years that makes me miss running when I can't, because I know now that I am fit and healthy.

These are not all the things that I appreciate. I appreciate my home, my friends, blue skies and twittering birds. I appreciate my life. And for my life, I can also be thankful: to my parents, and to myself for choosing to live it.

No comments: