Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Great Nutrition Experiment - Takes 1, 2, and 3

As I learned from Clearlake Tri, I need to start taking in nutrition in my longer events and training. Sooo... I went to Luke's the other day and bought 1 of everything (well, not really. More like 1-2 of each brand in flavors I thought I might have a prayer of liking) and combined that with what I've gotten in race packets, and I'm going to be trying everything until I find a few that I like. Here's what I tried so far.

Hammer Gel - Orange: Totally nasty. I tried this about midway through a 9 miler. I took in the first mouthful, gagged, forced it down, then thought I was going to puke. It was everything I could do to swallow the second mouthfull. Now, part of the problem here is flavor, I'm absolutely certain. I hate all orange flavored things (except oranges themselves). This was a race packet thing, though, so I figured I should try it. After it was down, it was fine. I felt like I even had a little pick-up at the end. I've bought another flavor to try, so this one isn't out.


Sport Beans - Fruit Punch: Not bad. Took these before a 10 miler, and suffered no adverse effects. They aren't quite as good as a jelly bean - they sort of pack a punch, but I liked it well enough, I was thrilled with how many beans I got to eat for 100 calories, and my stomach seemed to be fine with them. I like these for before a run, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about having to chew during...


Gu - Tri Berry: Not my favorite. Definitely better than the orange Hammer Gel, though. Took this in the middle of a 10 miler. Didn't feel much of anything in the way of pick-up, but didn't fade badly either. Stomach was fine.


Sport Beans - Watermelon: Not bad. Took these before a 12 miler. I had some stomach troubles, but I'm not convinced that it is the beans' fault. I would try again before I rule them out. Not quite as yummy as fruit punch, but has caffeine.


Honey Stinger - Gold: LOVE IT!!! Tastes like Honey. I love sweet stuff. I love honey. I love this gel!! Again, a few stomach issues on this run, but I was having them before the gel, so I'd definitely try this again before ruling it out. Absolutely my fav so far.


Accel-Gel - Strawberry Kiwi: The lady at Luke's warned me that the protein could cause a stomach rebellion. Since I was already having one, I took this just 2 miles before the end of my 12 miler, and ran close to home for that last bit. I actually didn't have any additional problems that I'd attribute to the gel, though I'd try it again before knowing it was safe. I wasn't a big fan of the flavor. It just seemed too artificial. I can't imagine liking chocolate, I know I'd hate orange, so vanilla might be my only shot with this brand.

No comments: