Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Or Die Trying

This past weekend, I met a 68 year-old Boston marathoner.

I was asking him all about being fast (he beat me by almost 5 minutes at the Bellaire Run!) and about Boston and about marathon training.

He asked me about my first tri.

And about the man that died at the CB&I this past weekend. Ever since I found out, I can't help but think that I must have swum right past him. I mean, I know I passed several men... and now in my memory I have a vague flitting feeling that I heard a lifeguard say, at some point, "Are you ok?". I know I saw the ambulances go by as I was on the bike course. My sympathy goes out to the family of Randolph Parnell. It is such a sad sad thing to lose a loved one unexpectedly in the prime of life.

The sage marathoner looked at me rather shrewdly and mentioned that he intends to start one more race than he finishes. Indeed.

No comments: