Wednesday, February 27, 2008

3 Per Lane = SUCK

-ing air, that is. In addition to being a sucky experience.

Both Monday and Tuesday, the pool was relatively uncrowded. To the extent that I had my own lane for part of Monday and all of Tuesday. I actually wondered this morning as I was driving in if the dearth in the early part of the week would make for a crowded Wednesday, but I had no idea how bad it would be! No.Idea.

When I arrived at the pool after biking 6 miles on the stationary, there was a class going on in the "slow" lane, meaning that lap swimmers couldn't use it. The middle two "fast" lanes had two people and three people, and the "intermediate" lane had two swimmers. Now, I know when you go over two, you have to circle. And I know then you're limited by your slowest swimmer. And I knew because of that that there was no way in hell I was approaching a "fast" lane. I'm slow, people, especially compared to these people.

So I go up to the intermediate lane where my buddy and a fast lady were swimming. She asked if I wanted to swim. I said yeah. She said that she thought the class would be over soon. Not so much: 20 more minutes. She asked if I wanted to circle in their lane. I said yes. She told me my buddy was slow. I shrugged. (What did she think, that I'd go away or wait forever until someone left?? Hells no!) So I got in and started swimming. In circles. With a really fast lady, and my "slow" buddy who is really only milliseconds slower than I. Looking back on it, she is really the one who should have moved up a lane. But she was nice enough. She recommended that I get a swim cap to save my hair. I agree. She told me silicone, not latex. I'll remember that.

But swimming with 3 is no fun!! It was probably the farthest I've ever gone without a rest, maybe 500 yards, which is good. But the reason, feeling like I was being chased and judged, wasn't so good. And the effects, me sucking air, also not so good. At one point the fast lanes were actually up to 4 people each when the class finally let out. Then a few minutes later, a spot opened up and the lady moved up a lane. And then I could relax.

But diiiiiiizang, people, quit skipping the gym on Monday and Tuesday only to (literally) flood it on Wednesday. Then no one has any fun.

No comments: