Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wimbledon Windmilers 10K Race Report

So, I arrived in London less than 24 hours before the start of this race, which was later than your standard USA race at 9am. So it is safe to say that I was a bit jet-lagged. My Londoner friend also greeted us off the plane with an apology for the "heat". It was warm that morning (the warmest of the entire trip, I'm convinced)... probably high 70's. While that is nothing compared with the Texas heat I've been dealing with, it is still too hot for a race, at least one longer than 3 miles, in my opinion. (And I actually laughed out loud at my friend for calling 80 a heat wave. She used to live in Texas!!!)

The race was fairly small, with less of everything than we are used to in the USA. There were just a few tents set up on the heath, and runners sitting/standing/stretching around until about 5 minutes before the start when we all tromped over to stand behind an imaginary line. There was no chip timing for this race. Presumably someone near the front said, "Go!", and we were off.
We ran by the most picturesque pub with whitewashed walls and wooden beams and beautiful hanging baskets filled with colorful flowers, then farther up the road the windmill for which the running club is named with horses in the adjoining fields. Then we went off road onto nice gravel paths that circled the park for the remainder of the race.
Of course I forgot my Garmin, so I was running on feel. To make it worse, they (again, of course, but I didn't think of it ahead of time) mark their distances in kilometers, so I was trying to do some quick mental math to figure out what my pace was. I ended up realizing, again, stupidly late, that anything under 6 minutes per k would do if I wanted to finish in sub-10 minute miles. (That's why they use the metric system over there - it really is easier!!) Sub-10s were about the best I felt like I could hope for with the temperature and the jet-lag.
After we went off road we ran into what really looked like a primevial forest. Giant trees with their canopies blocking almost all of the light. Everything so very green. Huge green ferns covering the ground. It was absolutely lovely. At one point we ran by a stone and brick wall that was obviously old and patched up and I wished for my camera.
The course was two loops. As I was nearing the end of the first, there was a light rain shower that felt wonderful. As I passed Preston he called out that I was about 30 minutes in. Exactly as I expected. I tossed him my sunglasses and headed out for a second loop, stopping at the only water station on my way back out. That is one thing that I would change. In that heat, there needed to be more than one water station. I was parched!!
The second loop was much like the first, except for me wishing that it was a 5K race and I was already done!
I gave it everything I had to run to the end, where I received a little backpack for a finisher's prize. That was another difference: you didn't get a goodie-bag at the beginning, you got it when you finished. And there were far fewer coupons etc in the thing.
Afterwards Preston bought me a Wimbledon Windmilers technical t-shirt for a souvenir, I chugged some water, and we headed to the bus stop to return to my friend's apartment. There was nothing other than water at the finish line. Another difference.
I love running races when I'm traveling. I really feel like there is no better way to see an area. You also get a feel for people, you get an intimate knowledge of the terrain you cover, and you give something of yourself, ultimately enriching your experience.
Oh! And I climbed St. Paul's Cathedral the next day. Only 530 steps. Easy.

No comments: