Saturday, April 19, 2008

Childhood Lessons Learned

When I was a kid, my parents bought me a bike. My dad went outside and ran behind me, promising not to let go. Of course, he let go, as all dads do. And then I fell over, didn't speak to dad for a month, and never got on that bike again. Almost a decade later, I decided to learn to ride a bike, and always found it enjoyable. But what I missed out on was the childhood years that form an unparalleled comfort level on the bike. I simply don't have that.

What has that taught me? To keep getting back on the bike. It is worth it.

I keep falling/crashing, but I keep getting on. It has been worth it. Today I rode 16 miles. I stopped once per mile, dismounted the bike, and remounted. I also practiced taking one hand off the handlebars at a time. Comfort may come slow, but it comes, and I am grateful for lessons learned.

My first tri is 2 weeks. I am excited, and nervous. All I can do is keep practicing - another childhood lesson learned was "practice makes perfect". My practice may not make me perfect, but it certainly makes me better. Bring it on.

No comments: